WHO NEEDS FERTILITY PRESERVATION?
Certain diseases and their treatment (mainly cancer but also some other autoimmune and idiopathic conditions) are associated with a high risk of the male or female patient losing their ability to father or mother a child i.e. their fertility. Timely counselling and intervention can provide these individuals an opportunity to preserve their fertility while they undergo treatment for the above conditions.
WHAT IS ONCO-FERTILITY?
Onco-fertility is a specialised branch of fertility and reproductive medicine which is linked with oncology and relates to providing fertility preservation of cancer patients undergoing treatment as well as subsequent counselling and follow-up for survivors.
BESIDES CANCER, FOR WHAT OTHER DISEASE/CONDITION IS FERTILITY PRESERVATION OFFERED?
Although Fertility Preservation initially was offered to cancer patients only, but after seeing its successful application in the field of oncology, it is now being offered to patients with various medical conditions and even in specific social scenarios. This includes:
- Autoimmune diseases like Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Rheumatoid Arthritis
- To hold conferences, meetings and discussions for dissemination of scientific information and advances in treatment in this field.
- Fragile X Syndrome.
- Family history of Premature Ovarian Failure.
- Women with low ovarian reserves who at present are not keen on starting a family.
- Young, ambitious and busy professionals who want to delay child bearing and child rearing due to social and work commitments.
Before enrolling an individual into Fertility Preservation Programme, it is essential that they are counselled about various treatment options available and success and complications of each treatment option.